Banjo Ben

Cheeky request from a new Gold pick member

Have a question or comment about a particular video or tab? Leave it here and let Banjo Ben and other members chime in!

Cheeky request from a new Gold pick member

Postby MattKid » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:22 am

Any chance you could do a lesson on Ashokan Farewell, I'd love to see you approach for embellishing it and generally prettying it up.

Thanks

Matt
MattKid

Re: Cheeky request from a new Gold pick member

Postby markrocka » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Something I found out pretty early after joining the site is that there are serious legal hurdles to doing lessons on any song written after 1925 (I think that's the right year.) Ben has been adamant about doing the right thing and only producing lessons that don't have a copyright on them. He actually pulled a couple of videos after learning that they were written after 1925. I think I'll Fly Away was one of them.

Ben is pouring a lot of his resources into getting the new site launched right now. On the plus side, he's working with some folks to be able to legally produce lessons of copyrighted songs. If I understand it correctly, we'll have to pay a small license fee on top of our regular membership to get those lessons, but it'll all be legal, which is the right thing to do, especially if you don't want your site shut down. :)
markrocka

Re: Cheeky request from a new Gold pick member

Postby mreisz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:24 pm

It's a great tune and very pretty as a straightforward song. I did a mandolin part for it and kept stripping out the various embellishments I would come up with. It was like "ohhh this would be cool!" Followed by "eh, I kind of like it better without." I am sure there are some cool variations though. I was playing around with it in drop D on guitar and had some little tidbits that sounded ok.

As a side note, I started playing violin after taking off about 40 years. AF is one of the songs I would love to be able to play 1) with good intonation and 2) with some expressiveness. I think it will take me a while to get there.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Return to Website Videos/Tabs