Banjo Ben

Singing bluegrass songs

Any and all topics and posts that don't belong in the other forums should be posted in this little catch-all.

Singing bluegrass songs

Postby Russell S » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:53 pm

I have to say that I enjoy singing bluegrass music. Even at my novice stage in bluegrass, I still get up and lead in our jams. But I also have to say that I would rather sing harmony than melody. There's just something about it. It's a blast working out the harmony to a song! I'm a baritone, but my harmony isn't always a baritone harmony. Sometimes I take the upper harmony, and sometimes the lower. I got started singing harmony in Church, singing hymns.

How about you? Do you like singing bluegrass? Are you comfortable enough to lead a song? Or do you like singing harmony?I want to say that if I can do it, anybody can! I'm not the most coordinated person playing the guitar, but I can hold a groove and sing, I just keep it simple! What's your experience in singing and playing?
Russell S

Re: Singing bluegrass songs

Postby welder4 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:17 am

I could not carry a tune in a bucket . I love harmony also it is a good thing to hear two or three blend the 3rd and the fifth what ever . by the way do not give up ever on singing or playing . enjoy it .
It's not as hot as it is was it! Sometimes making no sense at all makes sense .

Ken
welder4

Postby mreisz » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:30 am

I think singing bluegrass is fun, especially when you are singing with others. If you have a voice and an inclination to do so, that's great! You probably will find that to be an in-demand combination in picking circles. I have been to jams where there are something like 12 guitarists, 1 banjo player and no vocalists :(
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby Russell S » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:55 am

Hey Mike!
I'm with you! Singing bluegrass is fun! I love it! As I said I'd rather sing harmony. My ear always looks for it first. It's great when you have a group of people who love to sing together.

Hey Ken!
I know this is Ben's site, but I have to drop a name, because I like what he said on this subject.Pete Wernick wrote that he gets irritated when he hears someone say that someone else can't sing. He says that it's not true. He goes on to say that you just need to find a key they are comfortable with. Start there, then, over time, work with the voice to reach different keys. It makes sense. Think of Bob Dylan, in reality he wasn't that great of a singer. Neither was Janice Joplin, or Joe Cocker. But they did very well for themselves. Never cut yourself short!
Russell S

Postby 5stringpreacher » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:54 am

mreisz wrote:...I have been to jams where there are something like 12 guitarists, 1 banjo player and no vocalists :(

1 too many banjo players, eh? :lol:
I pick, therefore I grin.
5stringpreacher

Postby Bulldog » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:30 pm

5stringpreacher wrote:
mreisz wrote:...I have been to jams where there are something like 12 guitarists, 1 banjo player and no vocalists :(

1 too many banjo players, eh? :lol:

Good one preacher! I guess it'd be better than 12 banjos and 1 guitar though. :lol: To be honest I've been in jams where it seemed like everyone was playing guitar and I couldn't wait for a banjo picker or fiddle player to join in.

As far as Russell's question about singing, I was blessed with a good ear but not so good a voice so I play mostly instrumental stuff. Oh I can sing harmony ok but don't have the pipes for singing lead and I'm alright with that. Which reminds me of what an old picking buddy once told me.... "there's nothing wrong with not being able to sing, the problem comes with people who THINK they can sing but can't." ;)
Bulldog

Postby jwpropane » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:13 am

Bulldog wrote: "there's nothing wrong with not being able to sing, the problem comes with people who THINK they can sing but can't."

Good point Bulldog! On the flip side of that, there are a lot of people who really can sing but think they can't. I've read somewhere that a huge percent of people don't like to hear their own voice (like in a recording). I'm one of those. I've heard myself and know for a fact, I can't sing! :oops: Yet people in church always ask when I'm going to do Special Music again. I think they're just being nice, or they just want to hear the guitar. I would absolutely never get up there without an instrument. It's terrifying enough with the guitar.

[quote="Bulldog"] I couldn't wait for a banjo picker or fiddle player to join in. Really!? Just kidding!
J.W.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you're right... Henry Ford
jwpropane

Postby Bulldog » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:14 am

Ha! I agree with you 100% J.W. Sometimes I think we can be our own worst critics!
Bulldog

Return to General Chit-Chat