Banjo Ben

Bluegrass Festivals

Any and all topics and posts that don't belong in the other forums should be posted in this little catch-all.

Re: Bluegrass Festivals

Postby mreisz » Sat May 28, 2016 10:33 pm

Sorry to hear about losing your dog. That's never easy. I'm glad you have a new buddy.

I'm glad you've been playing lots of fiddle and got a new one. My fiddling buddy just played one from a local maker and was blown away. That guy's go for about $4000. There is a ton of work that goes into an instrument like that, so at least you can see where the money went.

As far as playing in a country band... who knows maybe it will bend towards something you like better. Here's hoping anyway!
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby fiddlewood » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:38 pm

Well, the country thing didn't work out. Went through 7-8 Bass players and just couldn't find one that fit. The band was headed far more rock than what I was looking for anyway.

Been setting in on a few gigs as Bass player, but nothing steady.

The new pup is turning into a pretty decent dog, and I'm still doing 3 mornings a week at the golf course. Not missing all the physical stuff I've done all my life.

Fiddling is coming along ok, mostly working on tearing apart old traditional stuff, but a couple newer things.

hope everyone is doing well.

Dave
fiddlewood

Postby welder4 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:28 am

In reply to JW I don't go outside much any more I am sort of a bed cat . the breathing thing has got me down sort of bad. I would love to go but alas I have not the energy to travel much . I say all of you go and enjoy when you can, it is something I wish I could do . I still try to learn new stuff . and play about every day but not much at a time.
It's not as hot as it is was it! Sometimes making no sense at all makes sense .

Ken
welder4

Postby jwpropane » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:24 am

Hope you get to feeling better soon Ken. It's been a miserably hot summer and doesn't look any better in the future forecast. Hopefully when it cools down some, you'll be able to get out more. This humidity makes it hard for about anyone to breathe. :x

Take care and keep playing that guitar,
J.W.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you're right... Henry Ford
jwpropane

Postby Bulldog » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Hang in there Ken!!
Bulldog

Postby mreisz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:37 pm

Indeed, hang in there Ken. Cooler weather is coming.

Good hearing from you Dave. Sorry that the gig didn't work out. Maybe there is a better fit on its way.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby fiddlewood » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks...I just go with the flow. Been setting in when needed on some Bass a little this summer, but that's about it.

Kind of caught in a catch-22: can't really afford to go out to play unless I'm getting paid, and don't get out enough to jam and meet up with potential job offerings.

I just keep rolling with the flow and hope something comes along.
fiddlewood

Postby fiddlewood » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:02 am

bump...it's that "festive" time of year again... :D
fiddlewood

Postby Bulldog » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:45 am

You got that right fiddlewood! So far I've only made one this year in early March. Saw Blue Highway for the first time and Special Consensus for the second time. Both bands were great but I have to say my favorite was Special Consensus. Rick Faris was playing one of his guitars (he built) and I'd sure like to get on his waiting list. Took my guitar but didn't get to do any jamming out in the park this time. The weather turned crazy that weekend. We had an early spring here in Arkansas and the weather had been warm and pretty prior to the festival. Wouldn't you know the first night of the festival a front moved through with severe thunderstorms, hail, tornados and cold air behind it. The third day it snowed six inches. Fortunately the festival itself is held in the Folk Center Auditorium so the bands played on despite the nasty weather.
Bulldog

Postby fiddlewood » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:51 am

Just finished working the Charlotte Bluegrass Festival here in MI. Probably the best time at a festival I remember.
Highlights:
Got to hear Edgar Loudermilk jam on my bass for a couple hours, and hung out with him and Jeff Autry for a bit...great guys.

Ran into many many old friends and and a few new ones. The parking lot picking of all levels was plentiful and widespread. I'm usually pretty busy working, but got a chance to pull bass in some great jams...one in particular was amazingly fun with my old friends Peter Knupfer and Loyd Douglas (Detour), Loyd's brother Chris, Wes Pettinger (the promoter and Edgar's banjo player) and a few other old friends and pros from the show.

Most impressive on stage...Hammertown, Joe Mullins, Nothin Fancy, Ronda Vincent, David Parmley, and Volume Five rocked the house.

We reorganised the traffic and entrance this year and it worked really well. The staff, bands, vendors, and crowd all commented on how much they enjoyed the festival and how well it was run.

I can hardly wait until next year...

Going to hit a smaller local assn. run festival this coming weekend and hopefully get some fiddling in this time.
fiddlewood

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat