Banjo Ben

Bluegrass Festivals

Any and all topics and posts that don't belong in the other forums should be posted in this little catch-all.

Bluegrass Festivals

Postby Bulldog » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:56 pm

I'm interested in festivals in other states and thought it would be a neat idea to start a thread about the biggest/best festivals in our home states that we attend. We could even pass along tips and other helpful info to fellow forum members who may be considering a certain festival for the first time. You never know, we might even bump into each other! I'll start with the ones I go to here in Arkansas.

Turkey Track Bluegrass Festival in Waldron, Arkansas. Spring and Fall. Big outdoor venue in the Ouachita mountains.

Mountain View Bluegrass Festival in Mountain View, Arkansas. Spring and Fall. A very comfortable indoor venue held at the Ozark Folk Center auditorium. Personally my favorite.
Bulldog

Re: Bluegrass Festivals

Postby mreisz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:00 am

Here's one coming up soon that I hope to attend. It is in Glen Rose, TX first Fri through Sun of October. I have been to jams there but have never been to the festival.
http://www.glenrosebluegrass.com/2014-p ... tival.html
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby ldpayton » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:54 pm

We're just at the start of festival season here. I'm excited; it's been a long boring summer.

I'm finding that festivals are a great way to mark my progress on guitar. Hooking up with pickers I haven't seen in a year really provides perspective.
Larry
ldpayton

Postby fiddlewood » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Season is just ending here. New one this weekend (don't know if I'll make it there) and another by our local assn. next weekend.

In MI. if you like bluegrass and good parking lot picking you'll want to check out Charlotte or Marshall Bluegrass fests.

If you tend more toward the eclectic try Wheatland Festival in Remes.
fiddlewood

Postby jwpropane » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Southern Ohio Indoor Music Festival in Wilmington, OH. This is held twice a year and is coming up Nov 7th and 8th. The big names are The Boxcars, Russell Moore and Third Time Out, James King Band, Crowe Bros, Larry Stephenson and Joe Mullins and Radio Ramblers (which is local for them). This is close to where Welder lives and only about an hour and fifteen minutes from me. Are you going Welder?

Every summer, Columbus has The MACC Bluegrass Classic (Musicians Against Childhood Cancer). It's a big four day event with a lot of big names and the proceeds go to St. Jude's.

J.W.
J.W.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you're right... Henry Ford
jwpropane

Postby Bulldog » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:46 pm

That's a great line up J.W. Saw Joe Mullins and the Radio Ramblers for the first time last spring here in Arkansas. What a great band. If I were anywhere near southern Ohio around those dates I'd be there. That's the same weekend as the fall festival here and also the opening week of deer season so I guess I'll just have to be happy staying down here!
Bulldog

Postby AlexNC » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:24 am

I can't wait for this one. We were lucky to steal the IBMA awards show away from Nashville two years ago, and this festival was built around it. Two days of non-stop bluegrass downtown Raleigh, NC.

http://www.wideopenbluegrass.com
Guitar player: Martin OM-21 (2012)
AlexNC

Postby ldpayton » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:37 pm

The Wide Open Bluegrass lineup looks fantastic! I'm jealous.

As a consolation for those of us who can't be there, the IBMA awards show is going to be live streamed by ibma.org starting at 5:30 this Friday (Oct. 2).
Larry
ldpayton

Postby ldpayton » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:24 pm

My previous post was incorrect. October 2 is tonight, Thursday, not Friday. I'm watching the live stream right now.
Larry
ldpayton

Postby Bulldog » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:53 pm

Wow! Definitely some big names at the festival in Raleigh. What I wouldn't give to be at that one.
Bulldog

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat