Banjo Ben

Skill level milestones

Any and all topics and posts that don't belong in the other forums should be posted in this little catch-all.

Skill level milestones

Postby Spiffy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:02 pm

What are some mandolin milestones/timelines that someone should be looking for in their skill level progression? For example as: As a beginner where should my skill level or ability be after say one month, six months and one year?
I know a lot of this depends on how much time one dedicates to practice.
Spiffy

Re: Skill level milestones

Postby welder4 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:34 pm

As you stated it depends on how much time you invest in playing , some people pick up faster than others . Me for instance I have to work for every note and every phrase it is a constant battle for me and my skill level stinks LOL' m

The main objective is to enjoy the music and the learning process. I really feel good about getting the notes to sound just like the tabs. I have played a section of a song and go back next time and it eludes me . just enjoy what you do the rest will come .
It's not as hot as it is was it! Sometimes making no sense at all makes sense .

Ken
welder4

Postby mreisz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:49 pm

As Ken said, everyone is different. I decided to start learning some Stevie Ray Vaughn this week and it is brutally slow going for me, but I am having fun. It is hard to not want to know how you are progressing versus others, but comparisons don't really mean much. Some people learn quicker than others, but it takes significant time and effort to play well. It is a journey, but if you stick with it long enough, you end up being able to do something you really enjoy.

As far as mando, I would think of it more like building blocks. Can you make a G shape? Can you make a chop? Can you play a fiddle tune lead line? Can you play double stops? Can you play tremolo? Each one of those things is a building block (or a tool in your bag, arrow in your quiver... pick your analogy) and by combining those skills, you can play a wide range of things.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby welder4 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:52 pm

A bunch of the old tunes in the rock n roll genre is phrasing and I have spent as high as three days playing nothing but 3 bars just to get it right .The main thing is enjoy what you are doing as life goes by so fast so enjoy it and learn all you can I hate to admit it but I practiced 7 hours a day for the longest time . am still learning things today . I may not be a great player but at least I try.
It's not as hot as it is was it! Sometimes making no sense at all makes sense .

Ken
welder4

Postby Bulldog » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:01 pm

My suggestion would be to start learning chords and rhythm first before ever trying to play fiddle tunes or the like. Once you get that down you'll have the foundation for everything else. As far as a timeline goes, it just depends on how much effort you put into it and how much talent you have. Gifted players can learn it in a month or two. Average players like me take quiet a while longer. :lol:
Bulldog

Return to General Chit-Chat