Banjo Ben

Must Know Songs for the Ukulele

So, you aren't a player of the banjo, guitar, or mandolin? There's still a place for all musicians, and it's right here!

Must Know Songs for the Ukulele

Postby 5stringpreacher » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:26 am

Been having fun goofing off with my Banjolele. Basically, I just take this little thing everywhere and people always enjoy what comes out of it, even if they (or I) don't even know what's being played.

I'm wondering if y'all have any input on some "must know" songs that everyone loves to play on the ukulele?
I pick, therefore I grin.
5stringpreacher

Re: Must Know Songs for the Ukulele

Postby mreisz » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am

Early on in my uke adventures, here's a few that I like:
Moondance, Oceans (play in C, first chord Am. It fits great like that), Your love never fails (play in G, first chord Em), How He Loves (in G), Hotel California, Sweet Caroline, Creep. I don't play it much, but we had a good sing-along with Wagon Wheel.

I think the classics are: Somewhere Over the Rainbow and What a Wonderful World.

I look forward to Mele Kalimaka for Christmas.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby mreisz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:27 pm

I know it's not the right time of year, but the last few days I have been jamming on "I'll be home for Christmas." It fits the uke well in C.

I think next up: Bob Wills' San Antonio Rose would sound good... I think I need to type it up
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby 5stringpreacher » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:56 pm

I'm currently learning "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles.

The chord progression is pretty simple, but with this song I'm also trying to learn how to throw in some licks while strumming. It's been fun, but difficult since I play in slack key tuning (or open C). I'm having to find different fingerings to make the licks work than what is usually taught with standard uke tuning.

I signed up to take a 6 week intermediate uke class starting in May. Looking forward to what I'll learn!
I pick, therefore I grin.
5stringpreacher

Return to Other Instruments