Banjo Ben

Doin' My Time

Do you want to share breaks and licks you have come up with? Or maybe you want to seek a little help coming up with something. Inquire within.

Doin' My Time

Postby ldpayton » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:43 am

I worked up TR's "Doin' My Time" this week.

Doin' My Time.tef
(2.08 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

phpBB [video]

Guitar Break at 2:52
Larry
ldpayton

Re: Doin' My Time

Postby mreisz » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:06 pm

Thanks Larry! I am a computer programmer, so you wouldn't think I'd get tech awe very often, but sometimes things just hit me. It is incredibly useful that instead of writing this stuff out on a piece of paper, you can spend the same amount of time putting it into a program complete with ornaments, dynamics, even a backing track. You can easily share it, play it back, loop a section, speed it up, slow it down. TablEdit may not be the sexiest interface around, but that is one incredibly useful tool for a musician.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby TNTaylor414 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:45 pm

That my song right there! Love that intro and how he ends it with the F-C-G chord lick at the end there. And that lick at 1:36 - 1:37. So good.

That jazzy Tony Rice chord I was trying to figure out in the alternate chord thread was from this song.

Chord at 3:22 - 3:25

phpBB [video]
Shawn
TNTaylor414

Postby ldpayton » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:52 pm

TablEdit may not be the sexiest interface around, but that is one incredibly useful tool for a musician.

Yep! I learned the break without tabbing it, but I know in 6 months my memory will mutate it into something different, so I went back and created the tef file for future reference.

That first album of Tony's has so many of the licks that he became famous for, I think I might try to tab the entire album eventually, just as a lick reference.

even a backing track
My backing tracks are usually done as an afterthought to aid in understanding the break. I sure didn't put in all those cool chord substitutions in the version Shawn posted. Now I gotta try to figure those out -just when I thought I had the song learned.
Larry
ldpayton

Postby welder4 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:16 pm

Larry you are a great asset to all of us here and I thank you for your expertise and willingness to share with all .
It's not as hot as it is was it! Sometimes making no sense at all makes sense .

Ken
welder4

Postby ldpayton » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks, welder. I get a lot more from this forum than I give, so I'm always glad to share.
Larry
ldpayton

Postby mreisz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:11 pm

I like the intro line. It seems to be a pretty common occurrence that I hear a TR solo and think, "That should pretty easy." Then I play it and it is much more difficult than I expect. He just makes everything sound so effortless.
Mike

mreisz

Postby ldpayton » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:35 pm

I agree that the intro is tricky. It doesn't seem as fast as some of Tony's guitar work and it uses lots of open strings so it looks like it should be relatively easy to learn, but I found it to be something of a finger puzzle.
Larry
ldpayton

Postby mreisz » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:26 am

Agreed. When I play it slow I get a flow going... when I start to speed up too much it goes out the window.
Mike

mreisz

Postby Bulldog » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks for those tabs Larry. Just about got the intro up to speed. It was a little tricky but got easier once I was able to store it in my memory bank.
Bulldog

Return to Give me a Break