Banjo Ben

Old Time Blues Banjo?

Ain't nothin' in the world like a 5-strang banjer...learn more about playing the banjo, and mingle with other like-minded players here!

Old Time Blues Banjo?

Postby WillCoop » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:28 am

Hi Everyone,

I am a new player from way up in the Enchanted Mitten State of Michigan - Greensky Bluegrass Country.

Been playing my Hollowback Epiphone MB-100 for about a year now. I LIVE music but am newer to Bluegrass... at my 50+ years. I am inspired by Patton Wages playing

Today, I am what you might call the DEEP SOUTH - BRASIL - visiting family... and practicing... or maybe I should just say playing - cuz I enjoy it sooo much!

Ben's site is the best - a Godsend and true companion - when and where I want a lesson - he is there! Can't wait to see the new site layout.

Say... anyone ever try to play Blues yet - like some old "Standards" like Sweet Home Chicago?
WillCoop

Re: Old Time Blues Banjo?

Postby markrocka » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Hey Will! Welcome to the board.

Yeah, I looked around for quite a while before finding Ben's site. I joined for the free 3 day trial, but after only a few hours of the trial, I signed up for life. If there's a better single source for learning bluegrass online, I haven't found it.

I'm not familiar with the blues tune you mentioned. Got a link?
markrocka

Postby WillCoop » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi Mark!

Thanks for posting my first reply! By the way, I am a lifer too.

Here is a link of Sweet Home Chicago https://youtu.be/O8hqGu-leFc

I hope it works to take you to a very old Robert Johnson version. It was also prominently played in the original Blues Brothers movie.

Some of my family is Brasilian but CRAZY for good ole American Blues - all songs! I gave my brother-in-law a harmonica... so I thought that to be a good starter song as my son plays Electric Guitar.

Old Time American music seems to be able to fuse with the Banjo...

Don't you think?
WillCoop

Postby markrocka » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:29 am

Oh yeah! The Blues Brothers. I don't think I would have remembered that's where I heard that song from if you hadn't mentioned it. Blues is my absolute favorite style of playing on guitar, but for some reason, it has never occurred to me to try it on banjo. It probably wouldn't be very tough to convert the minor pentatonic scale to a banjo fret board. Then the challenge would be coming up with a style that would sound right.

Here's the challenge as I see it. Blues is for when you're feeling sad. How can you be sad while listening to the banjo? :)
markrocka

Postby mreisz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:00 pm

markrocka wrote:Blues is for when you're feeling sad. How can you be sad while listening to the banjo? :)

I run into the same issue with playing a sad song on the ukulele. I haven't figured that one out.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby WillCoop » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:45 pm

You guys definitely have a point. Sad doesn't fit Banjo so well. I look at the Blues in a different way... sure the songs are sad... but the music is to cope with the sadness and even "turn the corner" to FEEL better... a kinda of musical therapy! In this light, is may just be adaptable. Anyway... Sweet Home Chicago doesn't sound too dreary now, does it!?
WillCoop

Return to Banjos