Banjo Ben

Practice and rest time

Ain't nothin' in the world like a 5-strang banjer...learn more about playing the banjo, and mingle with other like-minded players here!

Practice and rest time

Postby markrocka » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Something I've noticed is that I can actually practice too much at once. It's almost like I get tunnel vision on what I'm learning and start making mistakes. If I take a break and do something else for a short while, when I come back it's like what I was practicing before has been integrated and I'm now ready to take things to the next level.

Anyone else experience this? If so, have you come up with an amount of practice and rest time that works best for you?
markrocka

Re: Practice and rest time

Postby 5stringpreacher » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Yes!

I don't know if I have a maximum time that I've noticed, but I have noticed that when I start getting frustrated with something ... or find that something is getting more difficult to perform then I just set the banjo down and pick it up later and it's like my brain figured it all out on its own.

Usually it's after a good night's rest.
I pick, therefore I grin.
5stringpreacher

Postby markrocka » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:02 pm

Cool! Glad to know it's not just me.

Ive been experiencing this phenomenon a lot over the past week or so as I've been working to figure out the Purple Hulls' song "Dancin' On My Grave." Ben has several really cool licks in that song that I consider fairly advanced (for me, anyway) so as I practice each lick separately, I have noticed that if I break up the practice with either practicing another part of the song, playing another song I already know, or just taking a break, when I come back things are better.

And yes! Something about getting in some practice and then sleeping on it really seems to help lock it in! I think it's fascinating.
markrocka

Postby 5stringpreacher » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:54 pm

Somebody should write a book about the psychology of learning an instrument.

... which is probably way above the intelligence level of a banjo player :lol:
I pick, therefore I grin.
5stringpreacher

Postby markrocka » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:53 am

I just found this article I thought was interesting.

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists ... ce-as-fast

Apparently, scientists already have a name for the phenomenon where resting after practice "locks in your work." The article says it's called reconsolidation. I haven't quite figured out how to apply the technique in the article to learning banjo, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear them.
markrocka

Postby mreisz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:42 am

I once read that things practiced shortly before going bed are more quickly learned. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it seems to work well when I have made a conscious effort to cover things towards the end of the day.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby Tertom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:42 pm

I think it is best to set it down when you start getting frustrated and making mistakes. David Holt says don't practice your mistakes!
Wait for the Light to shine!
Terry
Tertom

Postby markrocka » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Tertom wrote:don't practice your mistakes!

Oh I like that!
markrocka

Return to Banjos