Banjo Ben

Black Mountain Rag

Ain't nothin' in the world like a 5-strang banjer...learn more about playing the banjo, and mingle with other like-minded players here!

Black Mountain Rag

Postby skunk » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:28 am

Hey everyone,

I've been working on learning Ben's Black Mountain Rag (key of A), Intermediate. It took me a whole bunch of tries over a few days to finally get a good version recorded but I'm pretty happy with it:
https://youtu.be/Olxk6y7iQpo

I was getting frustrated trying to record this song so I worked on a few other songs I had learned before or was still learning just to give myself a break. Whenever I try to record myself, I get all nervous like a fool and mess it up every time :mrgreen:
skunk

Re: Black Mountain Rag

Postby mreisz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:55 am

Awesome! How long have you been playing?
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby skunk » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Thanks! I got that banjo in October (2016) and have been playing it every day since. Took one class but other than that, pretty much just following Ben's videos.
skunk

Postby mreisz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:34 pm

That's fantastic!
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby bluenote23 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:11 pm

That was excellent. Your pulloffs sound really good. Well done!
bluenote23

Postby Tertom » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Very nice. Funny how we can get nervous recording ourselves just like playing in front of others. We are complicated creatures!
Wait for the Light to shine!
Terry
Tertom

Postby skunk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 pm

bluenote23 wrote:That was excellent. Your pulloffs sound really good. Well done!

Thanks! Perhaps I'm more critical of my own playing but I feel like my pull-offs don't sound as good as they could. Though I am partially blaming that on my open back banjo. I want to upgrade to a pre-war style with that bouncy D string. I'm hoping next month is the month but I need to save some money first.
skunk

Postby skunk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:31 pm

Tertom wrote:Very nice. Funny how we can get nervous recording ourselves just like playing in front of others. We are complicated creatures!

Indeed!
skunk

Postby ez2cy » Mon May 15, 2017 10:38 am

Good job.

Recording and playing in front of others, getting nervous, is an easy thing to fix. Just keep doing it over and over again.

I played with a guy on the guitar and the first time we played in front of people, after the first song he looked over and whispered "I've never seen anyone shake as much as you did" Took awhile but everytime out it got better, just like recording yourself. Someone told me to record myself as much as possible. It is also a great tool to go back and look at how far you've come when you think you're not gaining ground.

Again, good job!
ez2cy

Return to Banjos