Banjo Ben

Power Through or Take a Break?

Ain't nothin' in the world like a 5-strang banjer...learn more about playing the banjo, and mingle with other like-minded players here!

Power Through or Take a Break?

Postby sharingtimeagain » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi,

I have been playing the banjo for about a year steadily. At the least an hour everyday and sometimes two. I feel like I have been making some great progress. Learning songs and banjo runs pretty steadily at this point.

Recently I feel like I'm regressing. Slower playing, fumbling easy songs, and not able to learn parts of new songs that look to be very easy. I feel like some days I hardly know how to put my picks on. LOL.

I know you can't assess my situation with minimal details but do you all feel at times like your playing falters or slumps? You go through a phase when you seem to play terribly? If so what is your solution? My thinking at this point is I need to either power through and it will work itself out or I need to put it down and take a break for a week or two.

The later I'd hate to do as I love playing.
sharingtimeagain

Re: Power Through or Take a Break?

Postby bluenote23 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:17 pm

I have heard that for some, when they take a break, they come back better than ever.

I would be concerned that if you take a break, you might find so many useful and interesting things to do with your one hour a day that you will have trouble finding time to practice again.

I've been playing over 4 years and always felt I got incrementally better every day (and even if this was not true, I believed it so it became true!).

Keep on practicing. Slow down. Learn a new tune. Keep it fun.
bluenote23

Postby skunk » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:32 am

I've been playing since October and like you, I play every single day. Most days I have fun with it and it's enjoyable but sometimes I get frustrated with a particular lick so I try to walk away from that for a bit and work on something else. When I come back to that, I usually play it better.

However, I have also found some days I just can't play like I was yesterday and I don't really know why. Sometimes I think it is just that something has slightly changed with my technique that I'm not aware of so I make sure I'm sitting properly and positioning my hands appropriately. Still some days I'm better than others but then I'll just switch to a different song or even practice a particular lick to give myself a break with whatever I'm working on.
skunk

Postby Tertom » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:25 pm

It is like a anything else. You can play a great round of golf one day, and not so great the next. We all have things going on, could be tired, distracted, etc. Makes life interesting. It's ok to take some breaks but ultimately these ups and downs are all part of the process.
Wait for the Light to shine!
Terry
Tertom

Postby 5stringpreacher » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:00 am

I think any person at any task will tell you they feel like they've found themselves in a slump. In baseball, they say just keep swinging. Other times, they say go back to some basics. Maybe go back to some songs that you enjoy that you consider to be an easy level and build some confidence back up.

Tertom wrote:... You can play a great round of golf one day, and not so great the next. ...

Do tell me what the phrase "great round of golf" means?
I pick, therefore I grin.
5stringpreacher

Postby sharingtimeagain » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks for the replies. I am doing better now. Not sure why. Just seem to be playing better. Better frame of mind. I guess I need to stick to the baseball analogy and keep swinging.
sharingtimeagain

Return to Banjos