Banjo Ben

Banjo Recommendation

Ain't nothin' in the world like a 5-strang banjer...learn more about playing the banjo, and mingle with other like-minded players here!

Re: Banjo Recommendation

Postby Tertom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:31 pm

I have been playing about 3 years. Started with a cheap Fender pack, and after a year knew i needed something not as tinty. I bought a recording king rk -r20. I think it was about $500. I have been pretty happy with it though though down the road if i have some extra moola would like to upgrade. Very nice sound.
Wait for the Light to shine!
Terry
Tertom

Postby skunk » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:41 pm

I tested three banjos at my local shop just a bit ago:
2003 Deering Maple Blossom: This one felt different than my Good Times. Seemed like the fret board was possibly wider or longer and the space between the strings felt greater than. I was missing strings when I first started playing it. The sound seemed good though. It had much more high end than my Good Times. It just sounded more tinny but not overly so.

Deering Eagle: This one felt similar to the Maple Blossom but it seemed a fair amount more tinny sounding. The shop owner agreed that the Eagle has more high end and less low end sound and would be ideal for more melodic styles compared to traditional bluegrass. The fret board also felt more sticky than the Good Times or Huber. I don't know why that would be but it felt that way.

Huber Workhorse: This one's fret board felt the best to me and string spacing was more like my Good Times. The sound on this one definitely had more low end (bass) but I liked the sound a lot.

I'm leaning towards the Huber right now. A new one is about $600 more than the used Maple Blossom.
skunk

Postby 5stringpreacher » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:39 pm

I have a sneaky suspicion that you won't be disappointed with the Huber.
I pick, therefore I grin.
5stringpreacher

Postby VaFiveString » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:53 pm

What separates a beginner banjo from a good (or more expense) banjo? Can a beginner banjo be a good banjo?
VaFiveString

Postby bluenote23 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Unless you are exeptionally gifted, any banjo a beginner plays is going to sound pretty lousy. Sorry. I have really nice banjos but they didn't sound nice until I had been playing 2 1/2 years (though after about 18 months, I stopped asking myself if I had bought the wrong thing and was finally convinced the problem was ME!)

In the hands of a very good player, a more expensive banjo with better quality materials and better made, limited production parts will sound more like Earl Scruggs' banjo (so with a bouncy scoop and, in the upper registers, a classic, dry crack) than a beginner banjo.

As long as your banjo stays in tune and the neck feels good it is a good banjo. You'll know when it's time to move on.
bluenote23

Postby Tertom » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:02 am

I think blue note hit it on the head.
Wait for the Light to shine!
Terry
Tertom

Postby Cabe LeCutter » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:59 am

Just seen this Post, if you are still interested.
I have a Huber Workhorse and a Recording King RK35. The Huber is great, sounds wonderful with a high standard of workmanship. The RK35 is not as well finished but also sounds great at a quarter of the price. If you are looking for a new banjo, try the RK 35 as it is the best bangs for bucks on the market in my opinion.
Cabe LeCutter

Postby skunk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks! Where is the RK35 made?
skunk

Postby bluenote23 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Almost all RKs (there is a small US custom shop) are made in China. However, the operation was setup and is overseen by Greg Rich who used to run the banjo making operation at Gibson. He has used his knowledge and ability to produce high quality products and Made in China prices.

I have never played an RK but folks rave about them on the Banjohangout forum. They are generally considered to be a cut above other eastern imports. An RK 35 would be a big step up from a Goodtime.
bluenote23

Postby skunk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:22 pm

Ok thanks for the suggestion. I want something made in USA and I'm willing to pay for it as well.
skunk

PreviousNext

Return to Banjos