Banjo Ben

Anyone using Blue Chip thumb picks?

Ain't nothin' in the world like a 5-strang banjer...learn more about playing the banjo, and mingle with other like-minded players here!

Anyone using Blue Chip thumb picks?

Postby markrocka » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:49 pm

My wife wants to buy one for me, but I just looked and there are several styles to choose from. I assume since I wear a Large in the National brand I probably need a large in the Blue Chip? I also see there's one designed by (for?) JD Crowe. From what I can tell, the actual pick part isn't quite as long, which is probably what I would want. I don't like a thumb pick with a long reach.

Any info is appreciated.

-Mark.
markrocka

Re: Anyone using Blue Chip thumb picks?

Postby mreisz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:12 pm

I haven't got one of their thumb picks, but I have flat picks from them. I'd get in contact with them. They have been pretty helpful to me in the past. Early on, I told them what I was kind of looking for and let them choose. They did well.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby jacqy79 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:16 pm

I bought a blue chip thumb pick JD Crowe model online at Janet Davis Music store and asked them by email what size I should take based on what I was currently using. Best thing would be to do the same if you cannot try them somewhere.
I like it a lot as the metal band does not get soft like plastic does when it gets warmer after some playing, making it feel more stable.
The picking part is big enough, it looks short, but I found that it is not so much shorter than my other picks and I think perhaps this is also partly an optical effect of the two colours (metal/brown)? Never noticed a difference while picking.
jacqy79

Postby markrocka » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:46 pm

Those are some good ideas. Thanks!
markrocka

Postby ez2cy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:03 pm

I got a JD Crowe about a year ago. Really like it, best pick I've found to date.
ez2cy

Postby Tertom » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:55 pm

Wow, just checked the price. $40 for one pick?
Wait for the Light to shine!
Terry
Tertom

Postby 5stringpreacher » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:21 pm

Tertom wrote:Wow, just checked the price. $40 for one pick?

That's what I'm thinking. I'm just a front porch picker, so I don't see a $40 pick doing much for me. If I ever find myself at a J.D. Crowe level then maybe I'll re-evaluate my thinking.
I pick, therefore I grin.
5stringpreacher

Postby markrocka » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:36 pm

I decided to go with a guitar pick first. That way I could see the tone difference on multiple instruments. I got it in the mail today. I'm pretty impressed with the tone difference. It produces a cleaner sound than my Herco 75. What I wasn't expecting was the improved playing. It's like it just glides across the strings!

I haven't had too much time to play with it yet. I'll report back once I can spend a couple of hours with it.
markrocka

Postby mreisz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:44 am

Yep, I think they play nice and sound nice too. Another feature is that they do not wear out. I play with a pretty hard hand at times and I wear down every pick I have tried besides the BCs. Plus, I like the grip and feel.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby markrocka » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 am

Well, Ben started selling Blu Chip picks, so I broke down and bought the JD Crowe thumb pick. It's definitely taking some getting used to. I've been playing the National Large I got when I was 13 years old for most of my life. Yes, I still have my first picks. :) A few months ago a buddy of mine convinced me to try the Herco red and blue. They're a LOT smaller than the Nationals I'm used to, but they produce a much better tone. The problem that I have with them is that the reach (the distance that the pick part sticks out from your thumb) is a lot shorter than my Nationals. So, even after months of playing, I still miss strings from time to time.

So I got my Blue Chip in on Wednesday and have been getting used to it. The first thing I noticed is that the pick part is set back farther on my thumb than the other 2 picks (closer to the first thumb knuckle.) That felt really weird at first. Almost like my thumb was wanting to point down. Once I got past that, I felt that smooth glide across the strings that I experienced with the guitar pick I got last year. No doubt about it, Blue Chip picks feel great while you're picking.

Once I got used to playing with it, I'm noticing a definite improvement on the missed strings issue I had with the Herco. I don't think that's necessarily a property of the pick, per se. I think it's because the Blue Chip is more similar to the National I grew up playing with. I think if someone were to start with the Herco, they wouldn't have that problem.

I honestly can't tell much difference in tone between the Herco and the Blue Chip. The Blue Chip might produce a slightly warmer tone, while the Herco may be slightly brighter. The National, by comparison, is muffled and dull. I'm definitely not playing with that one any more.

So, in short, if you're looking for a pick that's smooth and produces a great tone, and you have $40 burning a hole in your pocket, I'd recommend it. If $40 is too much to spend on a pick, try the Herco red or blue.
markrocka

Next

Return to Banjos