Banjo Ben

Anyone using Blue Chip thumb picks?

Ain't nothin' in the world like a 5-strang banjer...learn more about playing the banjo, and mingle with other like-minded players here!

Re: Anyone using Blue Chip thumb picks?

Postby drefrank » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:28 pm

I've used a variety of thumb picks over the years. Most recently a Golden Gate. After seeing some info about the Blue Cup Crowe on BHO I decided to try one (despite the price).
Upon receipt I noticed the blade was a bit shorter than what I had been using - which was good as I sometimes brush up against the head while playing. I ordered a large and the fit was/is quite comfortable. The pick itself doesn't seem to be as rigid as other thumb picks I have used. The result, at least in my case, was a bit less volume. This isn't a big deal for me as I usually play with a mute in place. I will say that I don't hit the head anymore.
drefrank

Postby bluenote23 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:06 am

I have a Blue Chip mandolin pick but I never tried the thumbpick. On the Banjohangout, the jury seems to still be out on the tonal improvements made by the Blue Chip but for many players they are more comfortable and secure.

But speaking of thumbpicks, I used to use cheap tortoise Dunlops but recently got some AMB Clown Barfs (they call them 'multicolor'). Saga makes them too and they sound a little bit better than the Dunlops with a nicer fit and look sort of cool.
bluenote23

Postby markrocka » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:17 pm

I definitely can't complain about the fit of the Blue Chip JD Large. It's way more comfortable than any other metal thumb pick I've ever tried. That was honestly my biggest concern before buying it, because I've never liked the feel of a metal thumb pick band. I'd swear the JD-L was custom fit to my thumb, though.

To be honest, if I could get the Herco with a little longer reach on the pick part, it'd be a tough call. I like how light and small the Herco is. Almost feels like there's nothing on your thumb. They don't make that option that I've found, though, so I'll stick with my JD.
markrocka

Previous

Return to Banjos