Banjo Ben

Anybody out there play clawhammer banjo?

Ain't nothin' in the world like a 5-strang banjer...learn more about playing the banjo, and mingle with other like-minded players here!

Anybody out there play clawhammer banjo?

Postby Super 55 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:09 pm

Just curious if anyone on this site plays clawhammer. I joined BanjoBen.com years ago for mandolin, but now play clawhammer and don't get on here as much as I used to. Hey Ben, do you play clawhammer? Maybe a few songs on the video might be nice if anyone is interested. I still love this site and recommend it to people whenever we talk about learning and instrument. Best bang for the dollar for sure!
Super 55

Re: Anybody out there play clawhammer banjo?

Postby markrocka » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:39 am

I've never taken the time to learn any clawhammer songs, but I'm completely fascinated with the technique. It's so impressive to watch.

I guess the reason I haven't dug in to it yet is that there's already so little opportunity to play Scruggs style banjo that it seems like I'd never have a chance to play clawhammer in public. Is that wrong?

I found a couple of good youtube videos on the style several months ago and bookmarked them. Is it worth the time invested?
markrocka

Postby Super 55 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:18 am

Markrocka, I've never played Scruggs style, but that's only because I've only been playing for a year. I find the clawhammer a natural for me. I play pretty simple style although, I do play drop, thumb and double thumbing, which are just some right hand techniques.
If you want to learn some clawhammer, one DVD I found quite useful is Chris Cooles. https://www.chriscoole.com/dvd and it's the price of one lesson where I live. I took a beginner clawhammer banjo class at a music camp with Chris at Sorrento, BC and will be going back this summer to take intermediate clawhammer with Alison de Groot who plays with the Goodbye Girls and Bruce Molsky's Mountain drifters. I don't know how good I am, but I can play and sing songs and that's all I could hope for. By the way, any time used to learn something new isn't wasted. I put in a lot of time on the mandolin on this site and had a some small victories over the years!
Super 55

Postby skunk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 am

I would like to play clawhammer and know a few other folks who play that style. However, I started with Scruggs style and figure I'm sticking with that for a while. Perhaps the main reason is because all of my learning resources (such as this page) are all Scruggs style so I'd have to buy more materials to learn clawhammer :D
skunk

Postby Tertom » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Brainjo is a good site. Also. homespun tapes, David Holt has a great download, very reasonable for beginners.
I tried some clawhammer after about two years of Scrugg style. It requires a lot of tedious practice but is great for a lot of songs, like the Stephan Foster songs (Angelina Baker) that were written for Clawhammer. I kinda gave up on it but may revisit. Here is brainjo site.

https://clawhammerbanjo.net/8steps/
Wait for the Light to shine!
Terry
Tertom

Return to Banjos