Banjo Ben

Netgrass: Lost Highway

Banjo Ben forum members collaborate online to make recordings. Here is where you can find their projects.

Netgrass: Lost Highway

Postby mreisz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:34 pm

I put a scratch track down. It can be found under "Lots Highway" here:
http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collabora ... ctId=36682

I tried to stay pretty close to general layout of the youtube version here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCgicPdsxxg

I put the tempo at 120 which is a smidgen faster than the Hank one above. The key is the same (D) which might change depending on the needs of the vocalist. In case it would be handy, I put together a lyrics and chord chart. In the process of doing it, I realized I was changing to A early in the last line of each verse. Bummer. I can redo the scratch track later if we stick with this general key, style and tempo. I also kind of covered the slide parts intro and exit, and I would remove those from the scratch track to make it easier for Larry's Dobro recording.

The big point was that I wanted to get something down that gave an idea for one feel we could do for the song. If anyone has other thoughts, I encourage everyone to share them. Mine is pretty true to the original with an attempt to get a bit more drive. We could take this lots of directions.
Attachments
Lost Highway.doc
(20 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Re: Netgrass: Lost Highway

Postby ldpayton » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Lot's Highway... ends in a pillar of salt. haha

I was curious what you might do with the drop D. I thought you might be experimenting with open chord voicings, but you played it pretty straight. Nice track!

I got to dust off my dobro, now.
Larry
ldpayton

Postby mreisz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Pillar of salt. LOL!!! That's hilarious. I didn't even think of that. I was just honoring the tradition of slightly altering the title.

I just dropped the D to get a more full sound. Playing in D feels a little wimpy to me when using normal tuning. I also used a D2 quite a bit and kept the high E for the G chord (I guess that'd be a 6 chord), so I had a bit of the drone thing going, but I was not trying to make it like a new age version or anything.

I am curious to see what Hugo was thinking for a style. We might be able to fuse the two of them. If his was up-tempo, we could maybe do part of it double time (maybe 110/220... call it the alternating current mix).

If you want me to strip off the beginning and ending bits of the guitar to make recording the dobro stuff easier, just say the word.
Mike

mreisz

Postby ozicaveman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Inspired by your dedication Mike I have laid down a bass track to go on with for now. A few notes are ahead of the beat due to the pauses. Anyways I can always redo if you change the tempo, arrangement, song :)
Perform random acts of kindness.
ozicaveman

Postby mreisz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:08 pm

I gave it a spin Ozzy, sounds good. I didn't notice the timing issues, but I was just listening to the bass by itself. Would it be easier if I left a clicker of some sort (like the Jingle Bells from the intro) going on the scratch track?
Mike

mreisz

Postby ozicaveman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:27 pm

It should stay there to make it easier for you to synch everybody - I put it onto the front of my track for you to synch, as should everyone. The timing issue was just that with the pauses throughout the song (without vox to carry it through) I thought my attack on a few notes may be a fraction early. You may notice it when you mix the 2 tracks, but if you don't so much the better!!
Who's singing this one?
ozicaveman

Postby mreisz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:25 pm

What I meant (but failed to describe): did you want a click or something to continue throughout the scratch track like a metronome to make it easier to hear the beat until we get a few more tracks going?

By the way, thanks for keeping the sync track on there. It does make life easier.

I'll be pretty busy tonight. If no one has gotten to it by then, I can mix the bass in tomorrow.

How's this for thread creep: I just got through eating... if anyone wants a tasty and easy recipe for beer bread go here:
http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-bread-73440
Mike

mreisz

Postby ozicaveman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:34 am

Ah sorry, get your point now. No, it was just one or two odd notes - try the mix first and if you think there is an issue let me know and I'll redo it.
ozicaveman

Postby mreisz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:55 pm

I made a new scratch track where I wasn't playing the chord change wrong at the end of each verse (now just on the 3 and 4). Well, I can't guarantee I am not playing it wrong, but I am at least not playing it the same wrong way as my first track.

My apologies for the initial mistake.

The new scratch track also has a metronome for the 4 beat rests. In honor of the Christmas season, I used jingle bells.

I did go ahead and make a mix with the bass and uploaded it. Note: everything is still dry, as it is only a rough mix. I wouldn't be inclined to worry about getting the levels and panning perfect until we get further along. Nice job Ozzy. You did everything right including following me on my aforementioned mistake. Again, sorry. I think the jungle bells on the rests will make things easier as well (although most notes after the rest are pretty much spot on).

DianneP left a comment about the lyrics. Maybe she will want to participate? As far as I am concerned, anyone who wants to throw a track out there is welcome. I think the engineer can do with it as he or she pleases, but no harm in someone posting a track.

http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collabora ... tId=36682#
Mike

mreisz

Postby ldpayton » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:57 pm

We got a nice start, guys! We're gonna need some scratch vocals soon.

I've been noodling around with C6 tuning on my dobro this evening trying to get those cool lap steel sounds. It's a completely new tuning for me, so it's a lot of fun figuring it out.
Larry
ldpayton

Next

Return to NetGrass Projects