Banjo Ben

Time to Put it To Use

This forum is for music theory. Got questions or answers about music theory? put em here.

Re: Time to Put it To Use

Postby mreisz » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:39 pm

fiddlewood wrote:I just always repeat any mistake and they believe I meant it; my own interpretation ya know!

I have done that some as well. I remember once I was playing bass and the guitarist started matching a mistake I was repeating to make fun of me... that was pretty funny. We giggled like schoolgirls at a Bieber concert.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby KGM » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:55 pm

There's a good quote, I forgot how it went exactly, but it was something like,"If you do it once it's a mistake. If you do it twice, it's improvisation."
Also in regards to the F#, A, C, D# for the spelling of the F#dim7, I should of said, "Eb" not "D#" to be technically correct.
KGM

Postby KGM » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:57 pm

I think. If I'm technically incorrect, let me know.
KGM

Postby mreisz » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:59 pm

I have a hard time hearing the difference between an Eb and D#.
Mike

mreisz

Postby Oldhat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:45 am

Come on Mike, we know the most difficult one to tell the difference in is between the E# and F.

Of course it always takes a minute for folks to catch on when you say "This one is out of E#"
Oldhat

Postby KGM » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Since everyone's starting to post fun listening contests and polls, maybe I should do one where I play 5 notes and you have to guess if it's a D# or Eb.
KGM

Postby mreisz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:32 am

I had some anesthesia yesterday, and the odd thing was, I couldn't sleep last night. I was groggy, but just couldn't sleep. So it's 2:30 AM, and I am tired of laying there. I found it was a nice quiet time to record, so I recorded the attached.

I had been playing around with the dim7 chords and arpeggios. I really liked the sound. When I first started playing with it, I kept thinking it sounded like something from an old movie track (maybe like Casablanca). After playing with it's use out of G, a few phrases emerged. I added a few little progressions and came up with the attached. It's not bluegrass (my apologies) and it's not my normal style, but it's kind of what I think the dim7 lends itself to doing. Feel free to grab it and play with it, add some scat, rapping or whatever. If you want to record over it, I did not use a metronome. I started to do so, but it was kind of rigid and I was having a hard time getting it to "feel" right. I liked retarding the start and finish. Hopefully the main body of it is close enough to a predictable tempo that you can play along. At some point, I think I'll probably throw a bass line on it. I think the dim7 arpeggios would be a powerful bass tool.
Attachments
Dim The 7 Sons.mp3
(984.94 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Mike

mreisz

Postby ldpayton » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:41 am

That's some nice playing, Mike! Even if you did cheat and use your fingers. :lol: (We hillbillies might eat with our fingers, but we always use a utensil for pickin')

That's a nice quality recording, too. You sure you don't want to join in on our current recording? You can have the mando.
Larry
ldpayton

Postby mreisz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:03 am

I doubly cheated. On the "lead" track there is a little rake lick on the Em to Am transition. I was using my pick and couldn't go up and down and get the various notes articulated well and phrased the way I wanted (I could get one or the other). After punching in about 5 or 6 or 30 times to fix it, I set my pick down and used my fingers. I'd have a hard time puling that off live :)

Thanks for the kind words. It's only 30 seconds of recording two guitars, but somehow I spent about 4 hours on it. I was "composing" it as I went along, and I was groggy, but still... I am just slow.

You haven't heard me play mando :lol: The last I checked, I could play marry had a little lamb AND merrily we roll along. I do look forward to changing gears at some point and going through Ben's mando vids. Due to Ben's teaching prowess, I suspect I will progress much faster than my first times with the mando.
Mike

mreisz

Postby KGM » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Sounds sweet, mreizs. I spend a lot of time working on licks and theory and technique, but sometimes I forget that all this stuff is used to make MUSIC!. Nice piece of music. And nice reminder of why we learn all this stuff.
KGM

PreviousNext

Return to Music Theory