Banjo Ben

?7 Chords

This forum is for music theory. Got questions or answers about music theory? put em here.

Re: ?7 Chords

Postby markrocka » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:20 pm

beardedbanjo wrote:I feel like I just asked for someone to give me a drink of water and yall two just opened up a fire hydrant.

LOL!!! Sorry about that. I get really excited when music theory is on the table. I love talking about it... especially with people that understand it better than me. It's like a perfect combination of logic and emotion. :)

-Mark.
markrocka

Postby 5stringpreacher » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:45 pm

markrocka wrote:
beardedbanjo wrote:I feel like I just asked for someone to give me a drink of water and yall two just opened up a fire hydrant.

LOL!!! Sorry about that. I get really excited when music theory is on the table. I love talking about it... especially with people that understand it better than me. It's like a perfect combination of logic and emotion. :)

-Mark.

I'm truly glad you get the opportunity to do that here.

I look forward to the day when I understand it a little better and can chime in.
I pick, therefore I grin.
5stringpreacher

Postby mreisz » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:17 pm

beardedbanjo wrote:I look forward to the day when I understand it a little better and can chime in.

Based on your earlier post I think you already understand it better than any book can teach you. You talked about how you use the chord and what it does for your ear. That's application right there and that is one definition of mastery.

I have a few friends starting out on guitar and I am helping them a bit differently than others in the past. It's all about having the guitar make sounds you want to hear. I am trying to emphasize that connection between the brain, ears and fingers as opposed to making it like a video game of chord changes. So far the results are promising.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby oldhat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:33 pm

Mike,

On your method of teaching the "new" way:

Music in general was difficult for me to understand. It is somewhat for all, but it seemed it was somehow tougher to me.

When I was finally done with hours and hours of scale practice, hours and hours of learning other's "breaks", and hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing, I still couldn't "jam" or to me actually start becoming a musician. For me personally it's all about mastery of the instrument and the mastery of the "sounds" or "noises" an instrument makes. I have finally arrived there and love of those clacks, clangs, bangs, slides, bends, and notes. A person can become creative once they really train their ear to those sounds. You get your ear listening, your left hand fretting, your right hand flat picking and it's like breathing....you don't really have to think about them, they simply go to the noise you want to make. Man this is fun.

I mentioned scales a bit earlier. I could never "hear" a scale by simply playing it over a metronome beat. I had to turn on an actual recording(s) of some of our favorite pickers and fiddle tunes and play the scales over the song. I had to LISTEN then.

I advanced substantially once I learned to simply do scale practice in time with some popular tunes. This make me focus on "hearing". I can hear now and I accredit it to simply playing the scales over actual songs.

In your teaching may I suggest that you have an actual song playing and teach the students how to follow in time with the song while doing scale practice? This opened up an entire new world for me. I pretty much knew my scales and their locations on the neck. Once I forced myself to hunt for my major and mode of the song I in essence taught my ear "how to listen"....to those sounds/noises and if they fit or not.

Just a suggestion and I hope my post helps others that may be at the same point I was and need an idea on something to try.

Please report back to us how you think the group is handing it and some methods you use. I think it's a very interesting idea and could be an exciting way to teach.
oldhat

Postby mreisz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks Jesse, I think the scales over the music is a great idea and right in line with the same goals. I had noticed that many people who learn to play instruments today take a long time to (or never do) develop that ear/brain/hands linkage that you talk about. To take what we learn and use it is to make expressive music is a different focus than I see in most people learning guitar. Instead of rushing to learn a bunch of different things, I am hoping we can use a few chords and some basic skills and polish them to where they can make some music that they really enjoy playing and hearing. My basic thought is that we can make good music with just a few basic skills. The goal isn't to quickly become the best guitar player they can be, but rather, to focus on making enjoyable music.

This group is just getting started so we are just learning some basics. We haven't hit scales yet, but I think next week I'll have us working on using some chords that they have learned and some basic strumming techniques over some recorded tracks, a more beginner oriented version of the type of work you describe. Thanks for the suggestion!
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Previous

Return to Music Theory