Banjo Ben

Playing in a Key

This forum is for music theory. Got questions or answers about music theory? put em here.

Re: Playing in a Key

Postby 5stringpreacher » Mon May 05, 2014 5:53 pm

fiddlewood wrote:I use what I can of it, if it helps me play better and get more enjoyment from the music. The rest I leave for those who need or want to use it.

Sounds like 90% of musicians that I try to talk to.
I pick, therefore I grin.
5stringpreacher

Postby Oldhat » Mon May 05, 2014 9:33 pm

Great response / info Verneq!

Took me forever to catch onto "modes" until someone said it in terms that a "doofus" like myself could understand :idea: and that is exactly how you said it, where one is still in the major scale and simply starts at a different note and goes to that note again at the octave.....modes then became obtainable for me in about 2 seconds. That light bulb came on for me around 2 years ago with a statement just like yours.

So let's hear your version of the most useful bit of theory you think that has helped you in bluegrass.

Oh and for the record, in my circles we would have and do likewise make the mistake of calling that F chord that shows up in the G major (Or the 7th of any major) the "flatted 7th".......can't imagine that boy on the porch of Deliverance would understand us hillbillies though!

Edit/Add: I will say that by knowing my scales fairly well over 3 positions and decent enough somewhat with 5 positions that this has really helped me in my "jamming" as when I get to a position or am making a statement and need to fill with a few notes that by knowing the scales I can see the proper notes in the scale and know that they belong and can use them if need be to fill before the next lick or melody line
Oldhat

Postby verneq » Mon May 12, 2014 11:27 pm

So let's hear your version of the most useful bit of theory you think that has helped you in bluegrass

I would say yes know scales and modes, really I only use 4 of them for most music I play major (Ionian), natural minor (aeolian), Dorian (for bluegrass/rockabilly sounds)and Mixolydian ( for old timely sound/ and prog rock) and of course blues scales and pentatonic but they fit into the four mentioned.

My bluegrass epiphany was that you really play 2 scales a once. This is just how I think of it, but when looking at Tony Rice licks on gtr, or Sam Bush on mando, ( Ben licks as well) people will say they play a major scale with flatted this or that with a passing tone etc. this is confusing because, I don't think like that in the middle of a jam, I think patterns. Once I realized the bassis of their runs we're starting in G major and ending in G Dorian or vice versa I was like ooh, only 2 patterns I can do that. Now I don't pretend I can do what they do, but once I started just practicing going up in one and back in another, then reversing it, and mixing it up, it started sound like licks, and then I started noodling from there.
verneq

Postby Harv » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:08 pm

Find which key you wish to play in.
Typical chords are the home chord.... for instance.. G...
The other chords are neighbors ... D and C... often the chord below G which is Em

Let me know if you want to know how to transpose

All the best,

Harv
Attachments
circle+of+fifths.jpg
All things work together for good.
Harv

Previous

Return to Music Theory