Banjo Ben

Pictures and Such

There is a large percentage of Banjo Ben members that also have their wings...might as well talk about it!

Re: Pictures and Such

Postby mreisz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Anytime you are headed this way, just let me know. I think you'd get a kick out of where we live. There are a bunch of neat aircraft and people here.
You might prefer to fly with my wife though... she's alot easier to look at.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby Stich » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:42 pm

I wish I was closer to you. My BFR is due now. BTW, I can see that you and your wife are holding a cat each. What is the one in the center (black & white one) holding onto?
Jack (aspiring to be a banjo player)
Stich

Postby citadelpilot » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:48 pm

Here's a few from my C-17 days.
Attachments
112_1203.JPG
112_1203.JPG (917 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
104_0475.JPG
My old ride
104_0475.JPG (258.82 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
citadelpilot

Postby mreisz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Stich, good catch. The cat in the middle was photoshopped in. I tried to make it look like she was hanging on to Carolyn's posterior. Carolyn loved the picture and wanted to use it for our Christmas card, but the one cat wasn't in the picture. I "fixed" it. I also did one where the cat was sitting on the plane, but liked the oddity of the floating cat. It became a controversial subject as I kept mum while people speculated if we somehow had a ledge behind Carolyn. The reality was much less entertaining than what people were imagining.

CitadelPilot, I love that throttle quadrant. That's a handful.
Mike

mreisz

Postby Banjo Ben » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:49 pm

That C-17 is a BEAST!
- G LICK!!!
Banjo Ben
Site Admin

Postby Stich » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Banjo Ben wrote:That C-17 is a BEAST!

Oooooo and hold LOTS of stuff. Lets see, Jeep, Quadrunner. Fishing boat, Motorhome, oh yeah and MY airplane too. :o
Stich

Postby Stich » Fri May 04, 2012 7:38 pm

I came across this one and thought it might interest you fellow pilots. This is Georgetown CA. About 2500 ft strip, which wouldn't be so bad except if you notice on the right side there's a canyon which you fly over on final. As you go over the canyon the plane naturally sinks a hundred feet or so. Most pilots have a tendency to add power at that point. Wrong! You have to keep your power setting and the end of the runway actually disappears for just a minute, but as you get closer the uplift from the edge of the canyon lifts you back to normal height for a standard approach and landing. The guys at the FBO actually have a shirt that say's "I survived the carrier landing at Georgetown" They used to give you one on your first landing. Oh yeah, and just to add excitement to the mix, someone put snow on the field too. :lol:
Attachments
Georgetown  -1.JPG
Georgetown -1.JPG (65.05 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
Georgetown -2.JPG
Georgetown -2.JPG (60.02 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
Stich

Postby Banjo Ben » Fri May 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Man! That is so cool! We have an airport here in Sewanee, TN, KUOS. It's a short field and on the edge of little mountain range, but NOTHING like this! Anyway, I've only gone in there once, and it was on a hot summer day and there were some crazy winds. I did one approach and simply COULD NOT get the airplane down, so I did a go around and tried again. I had a passenger with me, and it was just too much. I could have forced it down but it would have been a bit too bumpy. I can't imagine how much this drop off would affect your final!
- G LICK!!!
Banjo Ben
Site Admin

Postby mreisz » Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 pm

That's neat looking field Jack. In Eastern KY, there were some airports put on top of old strip mine sites, and when the wind was blowing, you'd get some scary up and down drafts as well. Thankfully, they were long enough that one could generally stay above the really nasty stuff on final. I remember enjoying staying low after taking off and then dropping down below field level when the earth fell away... what an odd but cool sensation.

Here's a picture of one of my neighbors in a Legend Cub he built. It's a fantastic little airplane.
LegendSmall.jpg
LegendSmall.jpg (93.43 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
Mike

mreisz

Postby Stich » Sat May 05, 2012 9:01 am

What a great little plane the Cub is. It's potential is limitless. I've seen them on ski's, floats. tundra tires. You name it they seam to do it. I want to get (or build) a little Light Sport plane next. It's the low and slow that I have come to really enjoy. I'd love to go up to Idaho and land on a 100' sandbar and do some fishing.
Stich

PreviousNext

Return to Flyin' Airplanes!