Banjo Ben

Pictures and Such

There is a large percentage of Banjo Ben members that also have their wings...might as well talk about it!

Re: Pictures and Such

Postby citadelpilot » Sat May 05, 2012 2:06 pm

I've been to that strip in Sewanee. It is cool. My ex girlfriend was a professor at the University there.

You want a challenging airfield... I flew a Beechjet into Narsarsuaq, Greenland (BGBW) last month. Listed as one of the ten most dangerous airfields in the world to fly into. Surrounded by mountains on all sides. Most closer than others, but only one way in... and one way out.

BGBWfix.jpg
BGBWfix.jpg (33.14 KiB) Viewed 7759 times

This was the ramp. Solid ice.
098.jpg
098.jpg (69.1 KiB) Viewed 7759 times
citadelpilot

Postby mreisz » Sat May 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Greenland looks like fun... how many places can you ski into the FBO and skate out to your airplane :)

My wife flew to Sewanee some too. Bill Kirshner the super instructor, aerobatics guru and all around great guy was based there. She took his aerobatics course and they became buddies.
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Lunch Today

Postby mreisz » Sat May 05, 2012 3:05 pm

We had some friends in overnight from Louisville. Today for lunch we flew out to eat. We flew to Hard 8 in Stephenville (KSEP). It's nothing earth shattering, but it's the kind of thing that keeps me loving aviation. Greg got his first unassisted landing today.

Greg flew us there. He's not a pilot, but if he keeps flying with us as regularly as he does, he should have his rating by 2082. Left to right, that's me, Michelle, my wife Carolyn (who is patiently sitting in the back seat with no controls at her command) and Greg.
gregFly.jpg
gregFly.jpg (57.84 KiB) Viewed 7758 times

Carolyn drove us in the golf cart from the airport to Hard 8. She might scare me driving the golf cart more than Greg scares me flying... she missed her calling (Sprint Racing).
CarolynDrive.jpg
CarolynDrive.jpg (95.84 KiB) Viewed 7758 times

We arrived at hard 8.
Arrive.jpg
Arrive.jpg (95.77 KiB) Viewed 7758 times

AlmostThere.jpg
AlmostThere.jpg (90.86 KiB) Viewed 7758 times
Mike

mreisz

Fun in a Cub

Postby mreisz » Sat May 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Jack, you mentioned all the fun you can have in a Cub. I have to agree. The most fun I ever had getting a rating was in a Cub. Carolyn's Dad, Larry is a CFI and he taught her to fly. In our never-ending quest to do something to thank him for all he has done, a few years ago the three of us went to Jack Brown's in Winter Haven, FL to get our Seaplane ratings. It was a blast.

Here's the three of us in front of one of the victims of our newbie seaplane skills.
MLC.jpg
MLC.jpg (103.13 KiB) Viewed 7758 times

Carolyn coming in from a flight.
homecoming.jpg
homecoming.jpg (100.59 KiB) Viewed 7758 times

Winter Haven has a bazillion little lakes, and we would just hop from one to the other.
LittleLakes.jpg
LittleLakes.jpg (73.79 KiB) Viewed 7758 times

I would try to describe how much fun it was, but Carolyn's expression says it all.
HappyLandings.jpg
HappyLandings.jpg (86.45 KiB) Viewed 7758 times
Mike

mreisz

Postby Banjo Ben » Sat May 05, 2012 4:21 pm

That is some of the coolest stuff ever! Man, I've got to get some flying in soon!
- G LICK!!!
Banjo Ben
Site Admin

Postby Stich » Sat May 05, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm soooo jealous. The only time I have in a seaplane was in a Searay? I think that's what it was. A 2 place homebuilt amphib that I did the upholstery on a few years back ( I do aircraft upholstery for my day job) What a blast that was skimming across the water. I do have some time granted to me on the local seaplane that I did for an instructor on their Twin Apache. Yeah that's the ticket. A guy can get his twin, seaplane, complex, and retract rating all in one plane.
What I'd really like to fly is this one
Attachments
Beaver-1.JPG
Beaver-1.JPG (59.38 KiB) Viewed 7754 times
Jack (aspiring to be a banjo player)
Stich

Postby mreisz » Sat May 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Gotta love a Beaver with pink stripes :)

Now I'm jealous. I've never been in a Searey. We were looking at them and starting to get serious when a neighbor bought a Coot (another amphibious plane). He didn't have room in his hangar, and asked if he could keep it here, and in return we could fly it whenever we wanted. I said "Uhhhhh, Yes." Thus my quest for a Searey ended.

Dang, I got a cool small video I think you'd dig, but WMVs aren't allowed for upload. Jack, if you want send me a PM with your email and I'll email it to you. I need to get a dropbox account or something so I can link to files.
Mike

mreisz

Postby Stich » Sun May 06, 2012 9:22 am

Cool Mike PM sent
Jack (aspiring to be a banjo player)
Stich

Postby MiG-19 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:13 am

Sorry to flood the zone with a bunch of pics. Retired Marine Corps helicopter (TH-57/UH-1/CH-46/VH-3/VH-60) and Fixed-Wing (UC-12) pilot. Now I fly a Cessna 172 with the local flying club.

Flight Student, T-34C, 1980, Naval Air Station, Whiting Field
Beirut Lebanon, 1983 in Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 264 (HMM-264), CH-46
Beirut Lebanon, 1983 in Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 264 (HMM-264), CH-46
Pohokoloa Training Area (PTA), on the Big Island of Hawaii, 1994, HMM-265, CH-46
Marine Corps Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, 1994, HMM-265, CH-46
Marine ONE, HMX-1, 1988-1992, VH-3D
This is one of the UC-12's I flew from 2000-2003, photo taken in 2011, Marine Corps Air Station, Futenma, Okinawa, Japan
Cessna-172, 2011, Kadena Aero Club, Okinawa, Japan
Last edited by MiG-19 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MiG-19

Re: Fun in a Cub

Postby MiG-19 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:19 am

Going to Winter Haven to get my seaplane rating is something that's been on my bucket list for a while. Thanks for the pictures!

mreisz wrote:Jack, you mentioned all the fun you can have in a Cub. I have to agree. The most fun I ever had getting a rating was in a Cub. Carolyn's Dad, Larry is a CFI and he taught her to fly. In our never-ending quest to do something to thank him for all he has done, a few years ago the three of us went to Jack Brown's in Winter Haven, FL to get our Seaplane ratings. It was a blast.

Here's the three of us in front of one of the victims of our newbie seaplane skills.
MLC.jpg

Carolyn coming in from a flight.
homecoming.jpg

Winter Haven has a bazillion little lakes, and we would just hop from one to the other.
LittleLakes.jpg

I would try to describe how much fun it was, but Carolyn's expression says it all.
HappyLandings.jpg
MiG-19

PreviousNext

Return to Flyin' Airplanes!