Banjo Ben

Found on the market

Looking for somethin' to pick, or maybe something to pick with? Check out these threads to get some ideas or to ask about a product!

Re: Found on the market

Postby Harv » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:04 pm

Great thread,!
Thank you, Mike!!

Does anyone know who carries McPherson guitars?
I know Banjo Ben has one. I'd love to check one out. They sound amazing.
Would like to spend some quality time with one.

I'm in Portland, Oregon.
All things work together for good.
Harv

Postby mreisz » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:39 pm

I'd give McPherson a call or email to see if they have any suggestions in your area. I have played them at Gruhn's in Nashville, but that isn't going to help much where you are located. They are stellar instruments. They use gorgeous materials and the workmanship is top notch. To my ear they have a more modern tone with scooped mids being noticeable in the 3 or 4 I have played.
http://mcphersonguitars.com/
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby Harv » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:54 am

That's cool, Mike!!!

Thank you...
Harv

Postby mreisz » Sun May 15, 2016 2:31 pm

Update: It is sold.

I can't believe this 1998 D1 is still available for $545. Anyone looking for a good guitar for picking circles, take a look at this one (no affiliation):
http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.y ... zjOrdQrJiw
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby Bulldog » Tue May 17, 2016 12:13 am

Yeah Mike I'm also surprised it stayed for sale as long as it did. Could be the center seam repair and what few dents and dings it had scared some potential buyers away but he had it priced well below Blue Book value and gave a great description of it in his ad. I would have advised anyone looking for a lower end Martin to jump on that deal. I pondered on buying it but was able to resist. The stable is already full!
Bulldog

Postby Harv » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:12 pm

I've been trolling the extreme opposite of the guitar market. One reason the amount of green I want to shell out. My 2 guitars with any intrinsic value are long gone.
I played a Martin D-35 for years. Looked like it had been played with a chain saw. Tone was amazing... intonation was a challenge. A couple hundred thrown in that direction had no significant improvement. We were recording in a small studio... analog 8 track... I had put together. Happened upon a Taylor cutaway that sounded pretty good... had amazing action... perfect intonation... and sounded good plugged in. Traded in the Martin...
Started the album from scratch.

Recently, I've been teaching guitar class. About 13 grade school kids. (Tomorrow is our last class this year)

I showed them how to play one chord.. told them to play along when the song got to them... they were playing music after the first 20 minutes of the first class.
Amazing enthusiasm!! Lots of fun. A couple kids played up front in church after 7 classes.

Back to guitar stuff... I've been buying inexpensive guitars and repairing them. My skills are improving, and I'm coming out with some decent results. I glued up a broken neck... turned out awesome!!!
Just got a 12 string... someone had stripped out the nut on the truss rod... I had $100 into the guitar... decided to be unorthodox. What a surprise... instead of taking the neck apart, I sanded down the bridge... lowered the saddle and came out with a very playable guitar. Action is slightly better with a capo... considering dressing the nut slightly. Plan to add a pickup and plastic feedback suppressor .

My next project is on the workbench. An acoustic 6. The bridge has a split right along the pin holes.
Ordered a new bridge. Plan to replace the broken one.

Have been able to adjust students guitars.. great results. I'm finding out it's not ot as difficult as I anticipated.

Have a great day,

Harv
Harv

Previous

Return to Shopping Advice