Banjo Ben

How to tune to a different key

They may have been born in the mid-18th century, but they're far from out of style. Look around here for any variety of topics on the mandolin, from playing them to just enjoying their sound.

How to tune to a different key

Postby Mike K » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:04 am

Hello from Canada. New mandolin player here. I've searched the forum here and I can't seem to find any info on how to tune my mandolin to a tab that is in a different key. Do I just use a guitar tuner? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Any help with this would be appreciated. Mike
Mike K

Re: How to tune to a different key

Postby Jim_G » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:16 pm

Welcome Mike.

Most of the time you don't change the tuning of the strings. The courses are almost always going to remain GDAE from low to high. Occasionally Irish players will go GDAD for stylistic reasons (same reason a guitar player will go to open tunings). But to change key you normally change the fingering you use and leave the strings alone. I recommend you start with a teacher if possible. If not, then Don Julin's 'Mandolin for Dummies' book is a great resource. You should get a copy of that even if you do get a teacher.

If you're a Gold Pick member then start with Ben's 'Basic' lessons. For this specific question perhaps watch the G scale, then the D scale lessons.

Good luck. It's addictive stuff, and always remember it's a journey not a destination.
Jim_G

Re: How to tune to a different key

Postby Mike K » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks jim, I am a good pick member and will go through the lessons you mentioned. I used to play some guitar but it's been years.
Mike K

Return to Mandolins