Banjo Ben

Hello boys and girls

They may have been born in the mid-18th century, but they're far from out of style. Look around here for any variety of topics on the mandolin, from playing them to just enjoying their sound.

Hello boys and girls

Postby MattKid » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:42 am

I've just bought my 1st mandolin, I AB'd the Eastman MD315 and The Loar LM700 VS on two separate occasions and of the two I tried the Eastman has won, it's now getting a setup and CA bridge upgrade and I'll be in possession of it on Saturday.

I look forward to share my journey with you all under the guidance of Ben!
MattKid

Re: Hello boys and girls

Postby Bulldog » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:30 am

Welcome to the forum Matt. Good choice on the Eastman. My first mandolin was a 515 (back before the 315's came along) and it was a great instrument to learn on and grow with. Congrats on your 315 coming Saturday!
Bulldog

Postby MattKid » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:15 am

I've just upgraded to Gold Pick membership ready for tomorrow!!!
MattKid

Postby mreisz » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:04 pm

Have fun!
Mike

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
mreisz

Postby markrocka » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:46 pm

Hey Matt! Welcome to the board!

I've been looking at the Loar LM700 for a while now. I'm not at all familiar with the Eastman you're talking about. What did you like better about it?
markrocka

Postby MattKid » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:19 am

Mainly i sounded better playing it. This was probably down to either the fret size or maybe Eastman do a better job in the factory, but seeing as i couldnt have the both set up before buying one it left the Loar as a risk.

The Loar had a slightly warmer mellow tone compared to the Eastman which was brighter without being tinny even further up the neck.

The V neck on the Eastman surprised me coming from guitar as it is very V shaped, it's comfortable though and maybe with a smaller point of contact for the thumb may make it faster (in time!)

Lastly, although really firstly, even from when I was checking them out on the internet I preferred the finish of the Eastman. I have 2 sunburnt guitars already and something different would be a nice change. The Loar is very glossy and I preferred the satin look of the Eastman. They were both finished well with the Loar possibly having a little more untidiness inside the scroll.

Embarrassingly I can't tell you anything about the figure of the wood on the back of the instruments as I completely forgot to check I was too busy 'playing' them.
MattKid

Postby markrocka » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:22 am

That's great to know! I guess I need to find a local store that carries them and check them out.

Thanks for taking the time to write all of that. I always like getting the best bang for my buck. Now I have a new option for doing just that. :)
markrocka

Postby MattKid » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Imagel]
MattKid

Postby markrocka » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Oh man! That's pretty! Is this the model I'm seeing on Amazon for $699? Where did you get yours?
markrocka

Postby MattKid » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:17 am

I was extremely lucky that the acoustic music shop here in Galway had both the mandolin I was interested in. So I was able to get it at the internet price and paid extra for a setup and Cumberland bridge.
MattKid

Return to Mandolins